300 George Street
New Haven, CT 06511
Haskins Phone: (203) 865-6163, x228
Yale Phone: (203) 764-9353
Haskins Fax: (203) 865-8963
Regular Days at Haskins: Monday - Friday
A.B. Music, B.A., Stanford University, 1976
M.S. Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, 1976
(Double major, electrical engineering and music)
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1985
(Dissertation Title: The Acoustics of Fricative Consonants)
2004-present, Research Scientist at Haskins Laboratories, New Haven, Connecticut
2004-present, Principal Investigator, "Goals of Speech Production: the Case of Fricatives", National Institutes of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.
1999-2004, Senior Lecturer, University of Southampton, School of Electronics and Computer Science, Southampton, England
2000-2002, Co-investigator, "Acoustic Sources in a new dynamic mechanical model of the vocal folds and tract", Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, Anna Barney, Principal Investigator.
2000-2001, Co-investigator, "Novel Contact Microphone for Speech Communication - a Feasibility Study", Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, Boaz Rafaely, Principal Investigator.
1987-1999, Lecturer, University of Southampton, Department of Electronics and Computer Science, Southampton, England
1995-1996, Invited Researcher, ATR Human Information Processing Research Laboratories, Kyoto, Japan
1992-1995, Co-Investigator, "Speech MAPS (Mapping of Action and Perception in Speech)", European Community ESPRIT Basic Research Action, C. Abry, P. Badin and C. Scully, Principal Investigators.
1991, Principal Investigator, "Aeroacoustics of Voicing", Science and Engineering Research Council Visiting Fellow Grant.
1990-1993, Co-Investigator, "Coordinate Acquisition and Manipulation System for 3D time-Varying Data", Science and Engineering Research Council, John Carter, Principal Investigator.
1989-1991, Co-Investigator, "Mesure, Caracterisation et Modelisation des Sons Fricatives", European Community SCIENCE Programme, Principal Investigator Bernard Guerin.
1988-1991, Principal Investigator, "Analysis and Modelling of Speech Sounds with Turbulence Noise Sources: Acoustic Experiments", Science and Engineering Research Council.
1987 (January-May), Guest Researcher, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Department of Speech Communication and Music Acoustics, Stockholm, Sweden
1985-1986, NATO and Hunt Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Southampton, Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, Southampton, England
1976-1979, Associate Member of Technical Staff, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey.
- Shadle, C.H. (2012). The Acoustics and Aerodynamics of Fricatives. Ch. 20, The Oxford Handbook of Laboratory Phonology, eds. A. Cohn, C. Fougeron, M. K. Hoffman, Oxford University Press, pp. 511-526.
- Iskarous, K., Shadle, C.H. and Proctor, M.I. (2011). Articulatory-acoustic kinematics: The production of AmericanEnglish /s/. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 129, 944-954.
- Shadle, C.H. (2010). The Aerodynamics of Speech. In Handbook of Phonetic Sciences, 2nd ed., eds. W.J. Hardcastle and J. Laver, Blackwell’s, pp. 39-80.
- Proctor, M.I., Shadle, C.H. and Iskarous, K. (2010). Pharyngeal articulation in the production of voiced and voiceless fricatives. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 127:3, 1507-1518.
- C.H.Shadle (2007). Speech Production and Speech Intelligibility, in Handbook of Noise and Vibration Control, ed. Malcolm J. Crocker, Wiley and Sons, New York, 293-300.
- C.H.Shadle (2006). "Acoustic Phonetics," in Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, 2nd ed., ed. Keith Brown, Elsevier Ltd., Oxford, v.9, 442-460.
- Jesus, L.M.T.J. and Shadle, C.H. (2005). Acoustic analysis of European Portuguese uvular [x, R] and voiceless tapped alveolar [r] fricatives. J. Int'l. Phonetic Assoc. 35:1, 27-48.
- Jesus, L.M.T.J and Shadle, C.H. (2003). Devoicing measures of European Portuguese fricatives, in N.J. Mamede et al. (Eds.), PROPOR 2003, LNAJ 2721, 1-8.
- L.M.T. Jesus, C.H. Shadle, (2002).
A parametric study of the spectral
characteristics of European Portuguese fricatives.
J. Phonetics 30, 437-464.
- P.J.B. Jackson, C.H. Shadle (2001). Decomposing speech signals into their simultaneous voiced and unvoiced components. IEEE Trans. on Speech and Audio Processing 9:7, 713-726.
- A. Barney and C.H. Shadle (2001). Aerodynamic and aeroacoustic aspects of vowel production. Comments on Theoretical Biology 6:1, 29-54.
- P.J.B. Jackson, C.H. Shadle (2000). Frication noise modulated by voicing, as revealed by pitch-scaled decomposition. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 108(4), 1421-1434.
- A.M. Barney, C.H. Shadle, P.O.A.L. Davies (1999). Fluid flow in a dynamic mechanical model of the vocal folds and tract: I. Measurements and theory. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 105(1), 444-455.
- C.H. Shadle, A.M. Barney, P.O.A.L. Davies (1999). Fluid flow in a dynamic mechanical model of the vocal folds and tract: II. Implications for speech production studies. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 105(1), 456-466.
- J. Dang, C.H. Shadle, Y. Kawanishi, K. Honda and H. Suzuki (1998). An experimental study of the open end correction coefficient for side branches within an acoustic tube. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 104(2):1, 1075-1084.
- C.H.Shadle (1997). The Aerodynamics of Speech. Handbook of Phonetics, ed. W.J. Hardcastle and J. Laver, Blackwell's, 33-64.
- W.S.C. Chiu, C.H. Shadle, J.N. Carter (1995). Quantitative measures of the palate using enhanced electropalatography,. European J. of Disorders of Communication 30, 149-160.
- C.H. Shadle and C. Scully (1995). An articulatory-acoustic-aerodynamic analysis of [s] in VCV sequences. J. Phonetics 23, 53-66.
- P.O.A.L. Davies, R.S. McGowan, C.H. Shadle (1993). Practical Flow Duct Acoustics Applied to the Vocal Tract,. Vocal Fold Physiology: Frontiers in Basic Science, ed. I. Titze, Singular Publishing Co., 93-142.
- C.H. Shadle (1991). The effect of geometry on source mechanisms of fricative consonants. J. Phonetics 19, 409-424.
- C.H. Shadle, A.M. Barney, D.W. Thomas (1991). An Investigation into the Acoustics and Aerodynamics of the Larynx,. Vocal Fold Physiology: Acoustic, Perceptual and Physiological Aspects of Voice Mechanisms, eds. J. Gauffin and B. Hammarberg, Singular Publishing Co., 73-82.
C.H. Shadle (1990).
Articulatory-Acoustic Relationships in Fricative
Speech Production and Speech Modelling, eds. W.J. Hardcastle and A. Marchal, Kluwer Academic Press, 187-209.
C.H. Shadle (1985).
Intrinsic fundamental frequency of vowels in sentence context.
J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 78, 1562-1567.
C.H. Shadle (1983).
Experiments on the acoustics of whistling.
The Physics Teacher 21:3, 148-154.
- C.H. Shadle and B.S. Atal (1979). Speech synthesis by linear interpolation of spectral parameters between dyad boundaries. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 66, 1325-1332.